Pizza Bagels are a fun fast lunch that kids can make on their own. Cooking with your kids is worth the time and effort because it can help get them interested in trying healthy foods they might normally not want to try. For kids today, healthy eating essentially means eating more fruits and vegetables, having whole grains and beans when possible, and choosing leaner types of animal foods (even some fish every now and then.)
Recipe: Pizza Bagels
Prep time: about 15 minutes
- 1 standard-sized bagel, cut in half
- tomato sauce
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- toppings like diced green pepper, chopped onion, or chopped tomato (whatever you like)
- seasonings like oregano, basil, and pepper
- oven (you’ll need help from your adult assistant)
- knife (you’ll need help from your adult assistant)
- baking sheet
- Preheat the oven to 325° F.
- Spread tomato sauce on each bagel half.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese all over the tomato sauce on each half.
- Add your favorite toppings.
- Put a light sprinkling of seasonings on each half.
- Put your bagel halves on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven on low heat for about 5 to 8 minutes. You’ll know they’re done when the cheese is bubbly.
- Let cool for a minute, then enjoy your tiny pizzas!
Serving size: 2 tiny pizzas
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
9 g protein
4 g fat
34 g carbohydrate
2 g fiber
11 mg cholesterol
633 mg sodium
144 mg calcium
1.9 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
**Recipe adapted from KidsHealth