Information for Practitioners
Shriners Hospitals for Children — Northern California accepts children under 18-years-old for fracture follow-up. The Fracture Clinic is located at:
Shriners Hospitals for Children — Northern California
2425 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95817
Children with the fractures listed below may be referred:
- regardless of their ability to pay, and
- by providing the information requested below to the SHCNC Referral Center by voicemail or e-mail.
- Children will be seen as urgently as the next weekday after your call, or as indicated based on their fracture.
Do not delay the referral in order to obtain authorization, as delayed treatment of children’s fractures can result in a poor outcome.
Fractures treated at Shriners Hospital Fracture Clinic
- Upper extremity: Closed & splinted fractures of the clavicle, humerus, elbow, forearm, wrist, hand and fingers with normal vascular exam of the affected extremity. Displaced forearm fractures should be reduced and splinted prior to referral, with normal neurologic and vascular exams after reduction.
- Lower extremity: Closed fractures of the patella, tibia, fibula, ankle, foot and toes with normal vascular exam of the affected extremity. Displaced tibia and fibula, ankle, and hindfoot fractures should be reduced and splinted with neurologic and vascular exams documented before and after reduction.
Fractures NOT treated at Shriners Hospital Fracture Clinic
- Displaced supracondylar distal humerus fractures (prior to reduction and definitive fixation)
- Spine fractures
- Pelvis fractures
- Femur fractures
- Hip fractures
- Open fractures (prior to irrigation, debridement, antibiotics, reduction & appropriate fixation and/or immobilization)
- Fractures with associated neurologic and/or vascular injuries
- Fractures and dislocations that require emergency reduction (prior to satisfactory reduction and appropriate fixation and/or immobilization)
How to refer a patient
- By e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or voicemail (916) 453-2191
Include in email or voicemail:
- Referring provider name and contact information (phone or pager)
- Patient name and date of birth
- Recommended follow-up interval
- Parent/Guardian name and phone number
Please call the Shriners Hospital Referral Center weekdays from 7 a.m.- 5 p.m. at (916) 453-2191.