As a member of both the Plastic Surgery and Burn Surgery teams at Shriners Hospitals for Children – Northern California, Pirko Maguina, M.D., provides specialized Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery to children afflicted with burn injuries and pediatric plastic surgery problems from any cause. Dr. Maguina is an Associate Professor in the Department of Surgery at the University of California, Davis Medical Center.
As a member of both the Plastic Surgery and Burn Surgery teams at Shriners Hospitals for Children – Northern California, Pirko Maguina, M.D., provides specialized plastic and reconstructive surgery to children afflicted with burn injuries and pediatric plastic surgery problems from any cause.
A native of Germany, Dr. Maguina is fluent in three languages – German, Spanish and English – and brings a variety of international experiences to his profession. After living in Europe, Asia, South, Central and North America, he studied medicine in Lima, Peru before completing his residency training and fellowships in the United States.
He joined the medical team at the Northern California Shriners Hospital in 2008. In 2011, Dr. Maguina became a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He became a Reviewer for the Journal of Burn Care and Research and has been a member of the Editorial Advisory Board since 2011. Dr. Maguina became an Associate Professor at the University of California, Davis Health System in 2014. He is a Board Certified Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Dr. Maguina is a member of the American Medical Association, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the American Burn Association, and the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgery. Most recently, Dr. Maguina became the President of the Greater Sacramento Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Education and Training
- Medical Degree, Cayetano Heredia University, Lima Peru
- Residency, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan, General Surgery
- Fellowship, University of California, Davis, Burn Surgery
- Fellowship, Shriners Hospitals for Children, Northern California, Burn Surgery
- Fellowship, University of Illinois, Chicago, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Related information – has written over 25 published journal articles.
- Plastic Surgery Foundation (PSF) Volunteers in Plastic Surgery Steering Committee Member with the American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Surgery Committee Member with Resurge International
- International Committee Member with the American Burn Association
- Educational Committee member with the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgery
- Chair of Continued Medical Education Committee at Shriners Hospitals for Children.
Recent Honors and Awards
- University of California Davis. Award for Excellence in Social Responsibility. 2012
- University of California Davis. Award for Excellence in Education. 2014