Jacob T. Stephenson, M.D., is a Pediatric Surgeon at Shriners Hospitals for Children – Northern California and at UC Davis Medical Center.
Jacob T. Stephenson, M.D., is a Pediatric General and Thoracic Surgeon at Shriners Hospitals for Children – Northern California and at UC Davis Medical Center.
Dr. Stephenson is a Lieutenant Colonel in the United States Air Force Medical Corps and holds several teaching positions, including being an assistant professor of surgery at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., which trains physicians of all three services of the Armed Forces. Prior to coming to Northern California, he was the associate program director for teaching surgical skills and pediatric surgical faculty at the Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, Virginia.
Dr. Stephenson has extensive experience in global surgery, including multiple visiting professorships in pediatric and trauma surgery in Sub-saharan Africa as well as Central America. This work was cited in the awarding of the prestigious Arnold Gold Humanism in Medicine award in 2014.
He is board-certified in Pediatric Surgery and General Surgery, and is active in surgical research. Dr. Stephenson has earned over $500,000 in federal medical research grants. He has presented at numerous medical conferences and published extensively in medical journals on a variety of surgical topics, including fetal surgery, tissue engineering, and minimal access and robotic surgery.
Dr. Stephenson’s professional memberships include the American College of Surgeons, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Pediatric Surgical Association, the International Pediatric Endosurgery Group, the Society of Air Force Clinical Surgeons and the Christian Medical Association.
Education and Training
- Medical Degree, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas
- Residency, University of California, Davis, General Surgery
- Residency, David Grant USAF Medical Center Integrated Surgical Residency, Travis Air Force Base, California, General Surgery
- Fellowship, University of California, San Francisco, Fetal Treatment Center, Pediatric Surgery Research
- Fellowship, University of Washington, Seattle Children’s Hospital, Pediatric Surgery