The goal of our Pediatric Colorectal Center is to provide children with anal-rectal disorders advanced care and rehabilitation that frees them from social stigma and allows them to live and play like other children.
Shriners Hospitals for Children—Northern California treats children each year with a wide range of malformations. We see patients from newborns, who need urgent surgery, to young adults who need long-term follow-up. Our team has extensive experience and can provide all aspects of your child’s care in one place. We also provide second opinions.
Anorectal malformations can be complex issues. Each child’s case is unique. Team members partner closely with each other and with you to develop the best treatment plan for your child.
Often, newborns are referred from their birth center because a malformation is seen right away. We also see many babies and children at any age who:
- Have symptoms but haven’t been diagnosed yet because their malformation is not obvious.
- Have been diagnosed and need surgery.
- Had surgery somewhere else for this condition and want to change doctors or want a second opinion about the best treatment for them.
Surgery corrects the malformation, and it may allow your child to develop good bowel control. Despite surgery, some children have poor bowel control due to factors like:
- The type of malformation.
- Whether the child also has problems with the spine.
- How well the pelvic muscles developed.
Shriners Hospitals for Children—Northern California provides follow-up care to monitor your child’s health, prevent problems, manage symptoms and give your child the best quality of life.
To request an appointment, please call our Patient Referral Center at 916-453-2191.